Become an Art Theater Member Today!
Dear Friend of the Art,
The Art Theater has launched its new annual membership drive, and I hope you’ll join us! This year we’re offering new and improved membership tiers, and on the Membership page you’ll see all the great benefits that accompany each tier. There’s a level for everyone — from “Fan” at $50 annually all the way up to “Art Megastar” at $5,000 annually. Join or renew during our membership drive (May 10th- June 10th 2019) and you will receive an additional month of membership (13 months for the price of 12)!
As you may know, the Art Theater is now part of the Art Film Foundation, a local 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. With this transition into the nonprofit world, the Art is no longer just a theater. Instead, we’re a vibrant community arts organization determined to enhance the quality of life in our area by offering movies and other special events that entertain and educate, that expose us to new ideas and ways of being, and that enhance our engagement with other peoples, times, and places. That is our vision of the power of cinema, and I hope you’ll agree that the Art brings that vision to our community.
To implement that vision, however, and to keep bringing you the movies you value, we need an active membership base. Your becoming a member today is more critical than ever. Members help us cover programming costs and daily operations, and they allow us to take risks by offering films that you’re unlikely to see on the big screen otherwise. Here are a few highlights from last year that happened only because of supportive members like you:
- Film series such as Smart Kids, Brilliant Corners, Science on Screen, Shocktober, Stories from the State: An Illinois Filmmaker Showcase, and Migrant Solidarity.
- Post-show discussions with filmmakers, actors, scientists, writers, musicians, activists, critics, educators, and other fascinating people with insights to share.
- Phenomenal documentaries such as RBG, Won’t You Be My Neighbor, Free Solo, Studio 54, and Three Identical Strangers.
- Ingmar Bergman centenary celebration.
- Collaborations with the C-U Jewish Federation, American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, C-U Immigration Forum, Krannert Art Museum, and the Museum of the Grand Prairie.
- Gorgeous explorations of the arts with At Eternity’s Gate and Maria by Callas.
- Foreign films such as Roma, Shoplifters, Cemetery Without Crosses, Deep Red, and Foreign Body.
- Family favorites such as Cat Video Fest, Kid Flicks Two, Animation Show of Shows, and Kiki’s Delivery Service.
- Classics such as Taxi Driver, Belle de Jour, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Yellow Submarine, and Casablanca.
- Cult favorites such as The Room, The Atomic Cafe, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Tommy, and Rocky Horror.
- And, of course, the best new films out of Hollywood, hand-picked by the experts here at the Art: The Shape of Water, Get Out, Isle of Dogs, BlacKkKlansman, First Reformed, and Can You Ever Forgive Me.
We have ambitious plans for this coming year as well, including musical performances, comedy nights, lecture series, and other special events that we can now offer thanks to our new stage and lighting system courtesy of the Community Foundation of East Central Illinois.
Bringing all this to fruition, however, depends on you. Do you believe the Art contributes to your quality of life here in Champaign-Urbana? Do you appreciate the Art’s expert curation of films? Do you value the Art’s promotion of informed commentary and open-minded discussion? Do you believe that film can offer a uniquely valuable window onto the world? Please help ensure that the Art Theater remains a cornerstone of our cultural landscape by becoming a member today. And in the process, enjoy discounted tickets, invitations to special screenings, free popcorn and soda, on-screen recognition, and many other benefits.
Becoming a member is easy. Go to the Membership page for more information about the various levels. New members click “Become a Member” and current members click “Renew Membership” (even if you’re changing to a different level).
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com. Until then, thank you for supporting Champaign-Urbana’s only independent art-house theater, your neighborhood home for stellar movies and much, much more.
Porshé R. Garner, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Art Film Foundation